06 January 2019 / Club News

Maesteg Celtic 30v 26 Skewen

Maesteg Celtic welcomed Skewen to Garth Park for the return fixture in Division One West Central League. The game was played at a high tempo with both teams looking to use the ball at every opportunity. In the first half the packs were evenly matched with the Celtic front five of Mathew Phillips, Ashley Poole, Sean Lambert, Mark Hillier-Rees and Alex Jones holding their own in the set pieces and defending well on the gain line. The back row of Ryan Turner, Oliver Petty and Jonathan Davies, (recently returned from injury,) were strong at the breakdown and won several turnovers. Celtic half backs Cameron Jones and Matthew Harris combined well as usual and distributed the ball to centres Lee Arthur and Kristian Jenkins at every opportunity. Celtic back three of Morgan Harris Geraint Roberts and Lloyd Jenkins were full of determination and had some great attacking runs.

Celtic opened the scoring early in the first half. During a period of repeated possession the ball came to Captain Oliver Petty who switched play with a very long pass across field which was gathered by flanker Jonathan Davies who put left wing Lloyd Jenkins clear to run in and touchdown in the corner. 

Skewen took the lead when Celtic lost possession in the visitors 22 and the ball was swiftly moved wide for their wing Sam Collins to run in a try from distance. Bramwell converted.

Just before half time Celtic scrum half Cameron Jones took a quick penalty and ran through the visitors defence before kicking deep into their 22. The full back was forced into touch and Mark Hillier-Rees caught the throw in and was driven to the try line. Ryan Turner touched down but the referee was unsighted and gave a penalty try to Celtic.

Skewen began the second half with great determination and after repeated attacks in home territory they crossed in the corner to equal the scores. Celtic regained the lead when scrum half Jones took a quick penalty and linked up with fullback Geraint Roberts who made ground before putting wing Morgan Harris clear to score. Skewen then took the lead, with a converted try created in their own half, when good inter passing put their fast wing clear to score.

Matthew Harris then kicked a penalty to give Celtic a one point lead. Celtic pack began to dominate and when Alex Jones won a lineout on the 10 metre line the pack drove play into the 22. Celtic threequarters ran the ball wide . Centre Lee Arthur drew the defence and Cameron Jones found Alex Jones arriving at pace. As Alex was tackled he slipped the ball to wing Lloyd Jenkins for his second touch down. Skewen closed the gap to one point with converted try before Harris opened the gap to four points with his second penalty. Skewen threw everything at the Celtic in time added on for injury, but the Celtic defence held out despite losing a player to a yellow card. Flanker Ryan Turner was awarded Man of the Match.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments