09 December 2018 / Team News

Ammanford 27 v 14 Maesteg Celtic

Maesteg Celtic made six changes from last week’s winning side for their Division one visit to Ammanford. The pitch was in very good condition considering the previous weather but there was a very strong wind blowing down the field from the west. Ammanford played with the wind in the first half and used their advantage very well. Celtic pack kept the ball tight and ran at their opponents energetically. The front row of Sean Lambert, Morgan Reeves and Ryan Shearan were immense with the ball and they were ably supported by second rows Alex Jones and new signing Ed Randell. The back row of Ryan Turner, Ben Poole and Captain Oliver Petty were continually in the thick of play.Scrum half Cameron Jones frequently drew the defence before bringing outside half Matthew Harris into play. Centres Kristian Jenkins and Rhys Fisher probed the home defence and made good yardage.

Ammanford opened the scoring when a Celtic attack broke down on halfway and a speculative kick ahead was gathered for a converted try. They went further ahead when Celtic butchered a quick drop out 22 and conceded a scrum. The Ammanford centre took the ball at pace and ran through the defence to touch down under the posts. Celtics lineout had been functioning well, with hooker Morgan Reeves finding jumper Alex Jones despite the strong wind. Unfortunately the home team intercepted a Celtic lineout on half way and excellent handling resulted in a try in the corner.  Ammanford ended the half with a well taken penalty.

Celtic opened the second half with a fine try. Matthew Harris kicked a penalty to the corner, Jones won the lineout and the forwards took the ball on. When the maul collapsed the ball was given to the backs and Kristian Jenkins ran through a gap to score under the posts. Harris converted. Ammanford were awarded a penalty on half way and took it quickly. A Celtic player infringed and was yellow carded. The resulting penalty was kicked to the corner and after repeated drives hooker Morgan Reeves had to leave the field after bravely saving a try in the corner. The home team continued to press and were rewarded when their three quarters touched down in the opposite corner. Celtic continued to dominate up front and drove, a maul from a lineout, over the try line for prop Ryan Shearan to score. Harris Converted. Celtics Man of the Match was flanker Ryan Turner.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments